I’m not a foody, but I love down-to-earth delicious simple prep dishes! It’s just past 10:30 am, and my trusty old slow cooker is already hard at work on one of my favorites. It should be ready to eat by supper time.
Why a simple recipe today?
I’ve been thinking about simple actions I might take as a citizen of these United States. I want to do my bit in these next difficult years. Simple food prep popped into my mind because it leaves me free to take other simple actions.
Makes sense to me! Besides, it’s ‘Simply Great’ isn’t it?
So here it is, my simple recipe for today’s simple supper and the next 5-6 days, too.
Winter-Time Vegetables Chili – slow cooker, 4 to 5 quart round works great
- 1 medium-sized butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium-sized carrots, peeled and sliced or diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1-4 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 15-ounce cans of diced low-sodium tomatoes
- 1 4-ounce can of chopped mild green chilies
- ½ tsp salt (optional – I don’t add any)
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 16-ounce cans of low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
Optional additions after cooking: balsamic vinegar, fat-free sour cream/plain Greek yogurt to put on the top
- In slow cooker, layer each ingredient in the order given—Don’t stir!
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir before serving.
- Top individual servings with sour cream/Greek yogurt or nothing at all.
- Don’t worry if it looks thin at first; after you stir it up it thickens.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator. I don’t know whether it freezes well.
- Try serving it with a side of steamed greens. Yum!
- If you’re feeling simply brave and grateful, try giving some away.
Here’s to a simple day made up of simple things that mean a lot to you or someone else!
© Elouise Renich Fraser, 26 January 2017
Recipe submitted by Maricarol Magil, Freehold, New Jersey, USA
Found in Fix-It and Forget it Lightly: Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker, Good Books 2004
Response to WordPress Daily Prompt: Simple