Doing it My Way
Well, here I am a week later, learning to focus on thing I know I can enjoy right now. No matter what comes next.
Several days ago I decided to list many items as I could think of. Not a bucket list of things to do before I die, but a list of things I want to enjoy as much as possible right now.
I won’t bore you with the full list, which is still growing. I do want you to see, however, that I’m in full Do It My Way mode! Sometimes I laugh out loud when I’m reviewing the growing list. And sometimes I tear up.
So here goes–a selection, beginning with the first item that popped into my head.
- Cooking for myself, My Way! Possibly the most important item on my list. The thought of handing over my diet to rank amateurs or know-it-alls is unthinkable.
- Cleaning out my dresser drawers, closets and a few other hiding places. Why? Because I don’t want ANYBODY to see what’s there, unless it counts as Something I Cannot Do Without.
- Dressing myself each day all by myself, in clothes that are comfortable and attractive to me (not necessarily to you).
- Taking care of ALL personal hygiene needs. You might try imagining what it’s like to be happy doing these things….
- Getting out of bed at night to look at the moon, the planets and the stars
- Reading poetry written by others and by me
- Writing poetry
- Having a sense of where I am and what time it is, and enjoying the rhythms of each day
- Feeling connected to items in our home–where they came from and why they’re important to me
- Recognizing myself in the mirror
- Knowing how to call 911 in an emergency
- Remembering and recognizing the faces of my family members and friends
Small things that make up my life. Things I can enjoy, appreciate and take note of every day. Not because disaster might come in a certain shape, but because life itself is precious, and all I can count on is what I have today.
Thanks for reading!
©Elouise Renich Fraser, 31 July 2018
Image found at grandmalin.wordpress.com